FATE RPG System
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Subforums Modeled After the Taxonomy of Fate

Go down

Subforums Modeled After the Taxonomy of Fate Empty Subforums Modeled After the Taxonomy of Fate

Post by Shai Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Someone suggested to me reducing the number of subforums, and having only a few based on the "taxonomy" of FATE, which he said was described in a post on the Evil Hat website's blog.  I haven't found it, and I'm not sure what the taxonomy of FATE would look like.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking maybe the taxonomy is based on edition.  

I think the editions go something like this:

Spirit of the Century = 1st edition FATE
FATE Core & FAE = 4th edition FATE

And everything else is 2nd or 3rd edition.  Anybody have any more insight into this?

Ultimately I would like to add more subforums for "session journals" and even for some PbP forums. But I need to trim down the existing forums to do that, so this doesn't get unwieldy.
Shai
Shai
Admin

https://faterpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Subforums Modeled After the Taxonomy of Fate Empty Re: Subforums Modeled After the Taxonomy of Fate

Post by Shai Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 pm

So, FATE developer Fred Hicks had this advice for me:

Fred Hicks wrote:Fragmentation is death with a tiny forum. (I speak as caretaker of jimbutcheronline.com, which is not a tiny forum, but grew over time.)

My strongest recommendation is:

Start with one board.

Watch conversation grow.

When one particular kind of thing (e.g., conversation about the DFRPG, for example) dwarfs the rest of discussion, drowning it out, split it off to its own separate board and recategorize current active threads into that new board.

Everything else stays behind in "General" until it builds up enough mass and momentum to bud off similarly.

Fred

So, that's what I did. I've deleted the seventeen subforums, each of which was dedicated to one incarnation of FATE (Spirit of the Century, FATE Core, FAE, Dresden Files, etc.), and will allow subforums to bud naturally.
Shai
Shai
Admin

https://faterpg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down